Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tex-Mex recipe for those living outside of the USA :)

Since moving to Indonesia,  I have had to experiment with some of our family's favorite recipes, as the usual ingredients are not always readily available.  It's been fun!  Today I tried "King Ranch Chicken", a Tex-Mex casserole, without any of the normal canned products (cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup and diced tomatoes) or fresh milk.  I thought it turned out well, so I thought I'd share it for all my friends and family members living outside the USA (of course, there's nothing stopping those still in the US from trying it too!)  Sorry I don't have a picture to go along with it!

King Ranch Chicken (without canned goods)

2 cups powdered milk
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (cold/hard)
2 cups water
2 cups fresh tomatoes (skinned and diced)
1 onion diced
1 green pepper diced
1 tsp chili powder (more or less depending on your taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups chicken (cooked and diced/shredded)
12 tortillas
1 cup cheese (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine powdered milk, flour and salt.  Then cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or fork) until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Pour the 2 cups of water in a saucepan over low heat, and stir in powdered milk mixture. Continue stirring until thick sauce forms (3-5 minutes).  Add vegetables, spices and chicken. Stir and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, until veggies are slightly soft. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Place strips of tortilla along the bottom of the pan.  Pour 1/3 of the sauce over the top and spread evenly.  Repeat layers 2 more times.  Sprinkle with cheese on very top.  Bake for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.

Let me know if you are going to try this recipe!  I'd love to hear if you like it! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment